Monthly Archives March 2014

The Legend of the Fontanaccia Dolmen

Contes et Legèndes Corse Dolmen

It would appear, that the reasons for the piling up of megalithic constructions remain traditionally vague, for popular beliefs/legends lack sufficient explanation – this is the case of the famous ‘stazzona di u diavulu’.

The designation of the ‘devil’s forge’, given by custom to the Fontanaccia dolmen, found its origin in one of these beliefs and as for the dolmen itself, it was Prosper Mérimée through the publication of his works ‘Notes from a trip to Corsica’ in 1840 (Fournier) that gave it the current celebrity.

Let us propose an extract from this work :

‘According to a tradition that no-one believes any more, but, is nevertheless related to children, not unlike the stories of the bogeyman – the devil would have assembled these stones by hand, in order to use them as an anvil...

Read More

Quenza Castle, in the Alta Rocca

In 1935, this castle was build by Sébastien Colonna Cesari, French Consul in Bordighera, and in Florence (Italy) from 1902-1933.
As of 1923 works started, on the grounds of the model of the Palozzo del Podesta, in Florence. To be noted, Sébastien Colonna Cesari belonged to a noteworthy rural family, living in Quenza (Alta Rocca).

quenzaWith a total surface of 2000 square metres, three stories equivalent to 460 square metres and a tower of 40 square metres, this castle was constructed with imported bricks from Tuscany, right in the middle of a park as large as one and a half hectares – during the war, the Germans held their headquarters there, 600.000 litres of fuel being stocked, along with ammunition.

However, few were the years for enjoying this acquisition, for he died in 1939 of heart ...

Read More

OCCI – a ghost village relates ..

                                                 Occi Loic Colonna

Situated in the Balagne region, and north-west of Corsica, it is probably the most impressive ghost village on this island.

Attached to Lumiu, and with easy access (with less than an hours walk on a steep path) at the entrance of the village and through the maquis (a sign indicating the way).

Occi, would have been established during the Middle-Ages, when the inhabitants fled to the mountains during the Saracen raids. At the end of the 16th century, there would have been 150 residents. On the eve of the 19th century however, only 62 remained – the last occupant deceased during the ‘between wars’ period, and ever since it has been as such.
From where it is situated, the village offers a sple...

Read More