Category Heritage

A Strada Antica

This is a memory trail and millenary path, connecting the coastal plains of Purtichju to the Altu Taravu – handed down from prehistoric times. Beginning at Purtichju near the old medieval hamlet of Frassu, followed by the Col Saint Georges and Bocca di San Ghjorghju – it joins the old road from Ajaccio that used to connect the villages to the city and the lands of the plain. After crossing Bocca di Lera, significant crossroads, it then arrives near the Casteddu di Bozzi, an important feudal castle – situated precisely at a strategic point in order to control the territory, and the road network. It then continues to Tassu, near a Bronze Age castle and also a menhir – joining Bocca di Vizziluca, linking Bastelica and the Prunelli Valley...

Read More

The Old Mines and Lake of Argentella

Situated at 23km from Calvi and 14km from Galeria, they can be reached by the coast. At the foot of Capu di Argentella (813m above sea level) the mining galleries can be observed and are around a forty minute walk away from the buildings. 


These mines go back to the 19th century, and have not really been exploited since 1910. The buildings belonging to the old factory and the open-air galleries are today in a state of dilapidation. One can find traces of mining activity dating from 1572, when a silver mine was opened by the Genoese. Applications for concessions were made in 1847, but it was not until 1870 that major works were carried out, with developed activity of the mine. Buildings were built, along with a dam in Crovani Bay, and the Julia Port was completed...

Read More

A few words on: Maria De Peretti Della Rocca

Born in Conca, near Porto-Vecchio, on December 30th, 1902 – Maria de Peretti Della Rocca died in Ravensbrück on March 15th, 1945. Both of her parents were teachers of the Third Republic. After her primary schooling in Conca, she went to Ajaccio for her secondary studies and then on to Paris to study medicine. And it is in Paris she will practice her vocation with the poor, who do not have the necessary resources to be taken care of. As soon as France became occupied, Maria de Peretti enters into resistance. She is recruited by the Marco Polo network, created under orders from London (BCRA = Secret Services of Free France). Victim of a denunciation, she is arrested and interrogated by the Milice and the Gestapo...

Read More

A few words on: The death of King Nugolone and the flight of the Moors

At the time of Pope Gregory IV, the Emir Ziadet Allah Ibn al Aghlab seeing the decadence of the princes of the east and west and that the King of Tunis had seized Sicily – thought this was an opportunity not to be missed. King Nugolone accompanied him. While a camp was established in the region of Rome, he managed to obtain a fleet and troops to reconquer Corsica. He left with seventeen boats and a troop of about 6000 Moors and a commander. They arrived with this army in front of Aleria. After conquering the main cities of the Nebbio, Mariana and Aleria, he decided to besiege Poggio and Venaco Castle, where Count Bonifacio and Count Cinarca had retired with their men. 

On the morning of the assault, and while the entire camp remained armed and equipped, King Nugolone went out disar...

Read More

Speloncato in the Balagne area has several particularities, and worth learning more about.

Built around 570m above sea level, and situated up north of the island in Balagne, overlooking the Reginu Valley and also the Balagne coastline. It’s about thirty minutes from Île Rousse also belonging to crystalline Corsica, due to the granite rocks.

In 1621, the Capucins built the Speloncato Convent out of stone and lime, which could be found not far from the cemetery. It fell into ruins, and since then has been transformed into dwellings. It used to be famous for the Carignelli waters, which were known to cure kidney stones. One of the springs also supplied water to the convent.

The Santa Catalina church from the XI century stands in the middle of the village square, in front of the village fountain dating back to 1879...

Read More